Part of the Stuff Etc culture is giving back to the communities in which we serve.
Each month, as you may already know, Stuff Etc chooses a local non-profit organization (or two, sometimes three) to feature in their stores to help raise awareness and much-needed funds.
We do this in a number of ways.
1) Share the organization’s story with our customers in the form of information, visual displays, handouts, etc.
2) Collect donations all month-long in the form of dollars and change. We offer a weekend special centered around the organization that encourages customers to donate a DOLLAR. In return, they will receive 20% off their entire purchase of full-priced items the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of each month.
3) Open a free charitable account in the name of the organization that continuously accepts the community’s clothing & household donations throughout the year on a drop-off basis. This account helps raise funds for the organization to be used as they see fit or as needed. All donors will receive a tax donation receipt upon their request.
In April, we are sponsoring three different, worthy organizations.
In Coralville & Iowa City, we are featuring the Iowa Youth Writing Project.
The Iowa Youth Writing Project is a collective of like-minded individuals that aims to join Iowa City’s unique literary heritage with its community, fostering creativity and writing among the children of Iowa City and surrounding communities. It provides writing, tutoring, and publishing opportunities to Iowa’s school-aged children and teens. These opportunities are provided at little or no cost to participants through the volunteer work of Iowa City’s literary community and partnerships with local programs, organizations, and institutions.
In Cedar Rapids, we are featuring BUDS Community Garden Network.
The Community Garden Network supports efforts to grow and enhance access to fresh produce, including:
- Connecting people and resources
- Connecting individuals and groups to the natural environment
- Assisting in securing space, skills and plans for sustainable community garden projects
- Cultivating entrepreneurs and community action
- Education on the rewards of self-reliance, health and community
In Davenport & Waterloo, we are featuring NAMI, National Alliance on Mental Illness.
Because mental illness impacts the lives of at least one in four adults and one in 10 children—or 60 million Americans—NAMI works every day to save every life
NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
All of these organizations do so much for the members of our communities.
Please help us in our efforts this month by donating $1 while shopping this weekend, April 6 & 7th, 2012, at all five of our locations.
It’s a WIN/WIN for everybody!
And all month-long, when shopping in our stores, we encourage you to toss your spare change into the umbrellas hanging at the registers. Your change can make a huge impact on the lives of others around us.
Our Coralville location is hosting extra Charity Umbrella sale dates … click here to see those dates.