Once upon a time in a land far far away two completely opposite prints fell in love, got married and lived a crazy cool life together! And there you have it….a love story to last …. through 2012 at least.
Mixing and matching prints is all the craze for this season. And believe it or not, there is a right way to pull it off.
1. The easiest way to incorporate different prints into a particular outfit is to focus on a main piece and match a different printed item that is within the same color family. The combination could be as simple as combining a black and white abstract-printed skirt with a black and white striped sailor top.
2. A more advanced example would be pairing items that are complementary in color: blue and orange, yellow and violet and red and green. Choosing to mix patterns and prints that are complementary in color will make each item appear brighter when worn together.
3. There are also some prints and patterns that look effortlessly chic when styled together. Pairing stripes and florals is one of the easiest ways to pull-off the mixed print look. A bold striped blazer would look impeccable over a flirty floral dress, but if you’re too timid to make such a statement, opt for a pairing of a floral scarf with a sailor-striped tank.
4. Another easy pairing is to combine artsy polka dots with stripes, something as simple as wearing a polka dot top with a striped sweater, but remember to vary the scale of the print to add more visual interest.
5. And DON’T FORGET TO ACCESSORIZE! Anything goes these days and the more you layer the better and whatever you do …. don’t match!
Need more inspiration? Go HERE to see how others are mixing prints off the runway. And how about these lovely combinations:
Now go …
and be fruitful in your mixing print endeavors.
We’d LOVE to see what you come up with … hope this helps!